In the late 1940s many of the Piarist from the former Czechoslovakia, Hungary, and Poland emigrated to the Unites States because of the Soviet occupation of their native lands. With the help of Bishop John O’Hara of Buffalo, they stablished their first American community there on January 22, 1951. Later that year, they moved into their first permanent residence in Derby, NY. In 1952 a second community opened in Lackawanna, NY. Members of this community taught at Father Baker High School, a diocesan school.
In the meantime, Bishop O’Hara became the new Archbishop of Philadelphia. In 1954 he asked two Piarists to help in Philadelphia’s Spanish speaking parishes. In August of the same year, he allowed the Piarist community of Lackawanna to move to Philadelphia.
Also in 1954, the Piarists established a third community. With the permission of Archbishop Patrick Boyle, they opened a residence in Washington, DC. This House served as the House of Studies for Piarist seminarians.
The Piarist began their fourth endeavor on September 11, 1957. On that day Calasanctius Preparatory School opened in Buffalo with the permission of Bishop Joseph Burke. This school was open to academically gifted high school boys. The school closed on June 30, 1991.
The fifth community of Piarists was stablished in 1961 at the request of Bishop Coleman Carroll of Miami. Since this time, the Order has staffed Cardinal Gibbon High School, a diocesan school in Fort Lauderdale, FL.
On January 22, 1975 the United States Province of the Piarist Order was officially stablished. Afterward, news communities at Miami (SEPI), and Martin, Kentucky were added but for different circumstances were abandoned.
On 2011 the Province merged with the Vice-Province of New York and Puerto Rico, formed by members of the Province of Aragon, in Spain. In the Seventies they started their presence at New York, first at 2nd Street until they got the Annunciation Parish, at Manhattan, NY.
Members of the Viceprovince were called to Puerto Rico. Their first house was at Salinas, and from there they started a presence at the now called Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico. They received the Colegio Ponceno, at Ponce, and they founded the Calasanz School and the Savior Parish, at San Juan. In the 80’s they started a new presence at Playa Ponce, with a Parish, School, and Formation House.
After merged, the new Province accepted St. Helena’s Parish, at the Bronx, where is also the Formation House for Theological Studies.